Chef Bruce Sherman of North Pond
We had the James Beard Award winning chef from North Pond Restaurant, Bruce Sherman, in studio Tuesday to show us how easy it is to cook with seasonal, local produce.
He did a shopping trip to Chicago's Green City Market in Lincoln Park and brought his fresh finds into our kitchen to prepare Charred Corn-Jalapeno cakes and fruit compote! If you'd like to try out his recipe in your kitchen, you'll find it below!
If you'd like to try out Chef Bruce's dishes first hand, be sure to make a reservation at North Pond today: www.northpondrestaurant.com/
Also, you can check out the Green City Market every Wednesday and Saturday this summer for great fresh local produce: www.greencitymarket.org/index.asp
Charred Corn-Jalapeno Cakes
1.5 cups coarse White cornmeal
.5 cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbl Baking Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 Tbl Sugar
1 tsp Salt
pinch White pepper
2 ea eggs
2 ea yolks
2 c buttermilk
1/2 c brown butter
1 ea jalapeno, small diced (seeded, optional)
1 c corn kernels, charred
- Sift dry ingredients together in large bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients together in separate bowl.
- Make a "well" in center of dry ingredients and pour in half of wet mix. Carefully and slowly whisk in dry ingredients from sides of "well", and when mixture becomes thick, add in remaining half of wet liquid,
- Whisk entire mixture together to make homogenous batter.
- Let rest one hour before whisking in (tepid) brown butter and folding in jalapenos and corn.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium flame and brush on butter or oil to lightly coat it.
- When splash of water sizzles on surface, ladle in 1/8-1/2 cup of batter. Leave undisturbed until small bubbles appear on surface. Carefully flip.
- Repeat as appetites and batter quantity dictate. Can be served with fruit, nuts and syrup; roasted meats and grilled seafood or vegetables.