D.I.Y. jewelry and accessories
You don't have to spend a fortune to stay on top of all the latest fashion trends.
Jenni Radosevich, author of "I Spy DIY Style" showed us some easy and inexpensive ways to make your own statement necklaces and update an old pair of sandals and a belt. All projects won't run you more than $20!
For more tips from Jenni, visit www.ispydiy.com.
HOW TO: Make a DIY Neon Gem Necklace
-Stick-it Craft Felt
1. First, on the back of your black felt (non-stick) draw the shape of your bib necklace
2. Cut out the shape
*To make sure both sides are even, fold in half and trim
3. Next adhere the sticky side of the stick-it felt to the back of your black felt and cut out.
4. At each end of the bib, in between the two pieces of felt, place an end of the ribbon
5. This will create the bib, you can add a dab of glue to ensure the ribbon stays
6. Next paint your gems with the nail polish
7. Paint three coats letting the polish dry between each coat
8. Arrange your gems on the bib
9. Using superglue or Gem tack, adhere the gems to the bib
10. Let dry
HOW TO: Make a Rope necklace
-Rope (4 pieces, each a yard long)
1. Line up your four pieces of rope, then knot once in the middle. Tie two additional knots an inch to the left and right of the middle knot.
2. Tie the ends of the rope on the left side to the D-ring, trim ends and reinforce knot with superglue
3. Tie the ends of the rope on the right side to the clasp, trim ends and reinforce with super glue.
HOW TO: Make Ribbon Sandals:
-2 yards of ribbon 1.Cut ribbon into 24 strips, you will use 12 strips for each shoe.
2.Starting at the top of the T-strap, tie a strip with a simple knot around the thong. Keep the knot facing outward. Continue working your way down the strap with the remaining 11 strips, making sure knots sit snugly together.
3. Repeat Step 2 on the second sandal.
HOW TO: Make a Tribal Wrap Belt/Shoes:
-Strappy sandals or belt
-Super Glue 1. Choose one color string, tie to the strap of your belt with a double knot, start wrapping around the strap.
2. Tie next color string to already-wrapped string by double knotting them together (make sure knot sits on underside of sandal strap)
3. To finish, cut your last string, double knot and secure it to the back of the belt with a dab of super glue
For more on Perennial Virant: http://perennialchicago.com/
Purchase "The Preservation Kitchen" at the following: Vie, Perennial Virant, Barnes and Noble and other local bookstores.